BTEC (Level 3) National Extended Certificate (Single award = Equivalent to 1 A Level)
The course covers a wide range of theoretical and practical topics in sport, giving a more in depth level of study to Level 2 courses. Each unit covers 25% of the whole course, with a lesser percentage of the overall grade coming from the exam. Students still need a good work ethic and a background in sport and science in order to be successful. Students should play sport outside of school and should be looking at going forward into a career in sport or other physically active pathways (E.g. Armed Forces, Emergency Services etc).
4 units over the 2 years, including;
• Anatomy and Physiology- assessed by a written exam (25%).
• Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well Being – assessed by synoptic assessment (25%).
• Professional Development in the Sports Industry – Assessed by coursework (25%).
• Sports Coaching – Assessed by practical assessment and coursework (25%).
BTEC (Level 3) National Diploma (Double award = Equivalent to 2 A Levels)
The Level 3 Diploma in Sport is taken alongside one other subject and covers a wider range of sporting topics than the single award.
It will cover 9 units within the 2 years and targets students who have their mind set on careers in sport.
Students must play or be involved in a sport outside of school and should have a good work ethic to meet deadlines. A good qualification in both PE/BTEC Level 2 Sport and in GCSE Science is required in order to be successful.
In addition to the units studied in Option 1:
• Investigating Business in the Sports and Active Leisure Industry
• Skill Acquisition in Sport • Sport Psychology
• Practical Sports Performance
• Sports Performance Analysis